Commercial Auto

Whether you own a fleet of vehicles or you're self employed with a company owned car, we've got options to help will all your business auto insurance needs.

Underlying coverage options in a business auto policy work similarly to what you find in personal auto insurance, but there are a few unique characteristics, options, and endorsements designed to fit the needs of businesses. One key different is the symbol system that determines what vehicles coverage applies to. Be sure to read more below!


Another difference is the variety of vehicles that can be covered. Business auto insurance can cover everything from an executive sedan to a bus to trucks with mounted mobile equipment. Check out some of the coverage basics below:

  • Liability Coverage: Normally required to operate a vehicle on public roads, this covers bodily injury and property damage to others that you're legally liable for.

  • Uninsured/Under-insured Motorist: This coverage can cover bodily injury and property damage to you or your vehicle in the event an at-fault driver has no insurance, not enough insurance, or if you're a victim of a hit-and-run.

  • Medical Payments: This coverage can pay for medical services due to bodily injury as a result of an accident.

  • Collision: This can cover damage to your vehicle in the event of impact with another vehicle or object.

  • Comprehensive: This can cover loss to your vehicle for non-collision causes. As such it is often referred to as "Other than Collision". Examples include: falling objects, fire, theft, vandalism, contact with an animal, wind, hail, water or flood.

Some popular endorsements include:

  • Towing & Labor: This coverage can cover expenses for towing a disabled vehicle to the shop. It may also cover expenses relating to lock-outs, jump-starts, etc.

  • Rental Reimbursement: Used to  help cover the costs of a rental vehicle when your is disabled after a collision or comprehensive loss. 

  • Gap Insurance: If you own more on the loan (or lease) than the vehicle is worth at the time of the accident, this can help bridge the gap in value, usually up to a certain amount.

  • Garage-keepers: Extension of coverage designed for the needs of businesses that accept custody and control of vehicles of others for a fee. Designed to complement a CGL policy and fill normal coverage gaps.

And more! No matter your business's auto  insurance needs we can meet them with the policy that fits you best.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need commercial auto insurance? Will my personal auto policy be enough?

As is the case with a lot of insurance questions, the answer is "it depends." Under normal circumstances commuting to and from work is fine under a personal auto policy. Depending on the company they may allow limited business use (and often rate accordingly), but it's usually for minor risks. One example could be a professional, e.g. a real estate agent or insurance agent, going to see clients/locations. A personal auto insurance company may also prohibit vehicles owned in a business name. It's hard to give a definitive answer because each company and policy is different. It may seem confusing, but we're here to help.

What is Hired/Non-Owned Auto Insurance?

Hired/Non-owned Auto Insurance can provide liability coverage for vehicles not owned by your business while they are being used for business purposes. It can be purchased as a stand alone policy, but it's also often an option that can be added to a general liability policy with an endorsement.

An example may be an employee that's using their vehicle to take a business deposit to the bank but causes an accident along the way, or if a car is rented while out of town on a business trip.

What are Auto Symbols?

Put simply, the policy symbols determine which vehicles coverage applied to. The most common symbols include:

  • Symbol 1:   "Any Auto"

  • Symbol 2:   "All Owned Autos" - (Excludes Hired/Non-Owned)

  • Symbol 3:   "Only Private Passenger Autos You Own"

  • Symbol 7:   "Specifically Described Autos" - The most restrictive, only covers listed vehicles/trailers and provides limited coverage for newly acquired autos

  • Symbol 8:   "Hired Auto" - Autos hired, rented, or borrowed (except from employees, partners, LLC members, and members of their households)

  • Symbol 9:   "Non-Owned Autos"- Autos not owned, leased, or hired that are used in connection with the business

  • Symbol 19:  "Mobile Equipment Subject to Compulsory Or Financial Responsibility Or Other Motor Vehicle Insurance Law" - Examples include hoist, boom, and lift trucks

Note: Symbols 21-29, similar to Symbols 1-9, correspond to Auto Dealer Coverage. Additionally, Symbols 30 and 31 correspond to garage-keepers and auto physical damage coverage respectively. These symbols are used for the unique needs of garages/dealers.


6003 Veterans Parkway

Suite 216

Columbus, GA 31909


Tel: 706-660-5969

Fax: 706-660-5979


Monday - Friday 

9:00 AM - 5:00 PM


Saturday & After Hours

By Appointment

Have Questions?
Chastain & Welch Agency LLC - Columbus Georgia

Note that all coverage summaries are generic, based on general industry standards, and informational only. They in no way create, extend, reduce, or otherwise modify coverage provided by any insurance policy. Please refer to your policy documents and any endorsements to determine coverage limits, conditions, exclusions and any other applicable provisions.

© 2019 by Chastain & Welch Agency, LLC.    Call us: 706-660-5969      >>>     Follow us:

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Yelp